Thoughts on life, gardening and living in the Northeast!

by Monique Allen



Friday, January 15, 2010

Bradstreet

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant;
If we did not sometimes taste the adversity,
prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Reading Anne Bradstreet's quote reminds me of how much gardeners anticipate spring. Not being a winter sport kinda girl, I bundle up and wait out winter. I don't ski (down hill or cross country), snow shoe, or get into snow ball fights (cuz I'd lose! Have you MET my husband?), nor do I generally venture out with a sled (much to my children's chagrin). I don't mind ice-skating and actually get a kick out of shovelling the walk (2 or 3 times...tops!) and feel a pretty nice power-rush workin' that snow blower. I have been known to help with a snow man...but Chris beat me to it this year! Mostly I am waiting for the thaw. As beautiful as the snow and bare branches are, I still feel cold and miss the greenery of the growing season.

Mrs. Bradstreet seemed to have it right though, without the cold, stark winter season, how could we even fathom the glory of spring? How do they do it in warm climates where there is no fall foliage, winter blankets or glistening icicles? Hmmm, I am thinking I might manage if I were in Hawaii!
Married to Governor Simon Bradstreet, Anne Bradstreet was best known as the first woman to be published in the United States. Her works were mostly centered around religious themes, but she also was deeply observant of her surroundings. In the long lonely days of colonial New England winters, she managed to dig deeply into her spirituality and faith and find inspiration all around her. She did all this AND raised seven children! I am starting to wonder what I do with my time?
I guess I could start by being observant and finding inspiration in the resilience of the landscape which always comes full circle regardless of where it starts. Spring will come! The warm air and the lush new growth will follow with perfect predictability as well as with surprises.
And sure as spring comes...time will pass and winter will return.
Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment